Make your own free website on

History of the Santa Fe Railway
This history comprises of the original charter, original track thru Topeka, Kansas, early Harvey Houses and finally, the Illinois and Missouri Divisions. Information obtained from a webpage that is closing as of July 30, 2001. This information is being re-produced here account it would have been lost if I hadn't copied and pasted to my own site.

Original Charter
Copy of original charter of the Atchison, & Topeka Rail Road - Chapter XLVII. Approved February 11th, 1859, Laws of Kansas 1859.
AN ACT Incorporating the Atchison and Topeka Railroad Company.
SECTION 1. - That S. C. Pomeroy, C. K. Holliday, Luther C. Challis, Peter T. Abell, Milton C. Dickey, Asaph Allen, Samual Dickson, Nelson L. Gordon, Geo. S. Hillyer, Lorenzo D. Bird, Jeremiah Murphy, Geo. H. Fairchild and R. L. Crane, with such other persons as may associate with them for that purpose, are hereby incorporated a body politic and corporate, by the name of the "Atchison and Topeka Railroad Company," and under that name and style shall be capable of suing and being sued, impleading and be impleaded, defending and being defended against, in law and equity, in all courts and places; may make and use a common seal and alter or renew the same, be capable of contracting and be contracted with, and are hereby invested with all powers, privileges, immunities and franchises, and of acquiring, by purchase or otherwise, and of holding and conveying real and personal estate, which may be needful to carry into effect fully the purposes and objects of this act.
SECTION 2. - The said company is hereby authorized and empowered to survey, locate, construct, coplete, alter, maintain and operate a railroad, with one or more tracks, from or near Atchison, on the Missouri River, in Kansas Territory, to the town of Topeka, in Kansas Territory, and to such point on the southern or western boundry of the said Territory, in the direction of Santa Fe, in the Territory of New Mexico, as may be most convenient and suitable, for the construction of such railroad; and, also to construct a branch of said railroad to any points on the southern boundry of said Territory of Kansas in the direction of the Gulf of Mexico.
SECTION 3. - The said company are hereby authorized, and shall have the right-of-way upon, and may appropriate to its sole use and control, for the purposes contemplated herein, land, not exceeding one hundred feet in width, thru the entire length of said road, upon such route as may be determined; and, for the purposes of depots, side tracks, cuttings and embankments, for building engine houses and shops or wood and water stations, may take more land, earth or material, as may be necessary, for the construction or completion, operation, preserving and maintaining said road.
SECTION 4. - All such lands, materials and privileges, belonging to this Territory, or state hereafter, are hereby granted to such railroad, for the purpose named in the previous section; and may construct such road on or across other railroads, common roads, rivers or streams which it may intersect in sufficient manner not to materially impair its usefulness.
SECTION 5. - The capital stock of said corporation shall be one million and five hundred thousand dollars, which may be increased, from time to time, to any sum not exceeding the amount expended on account of said road, divided into shares of one hundred dollars each, which shall be deemed personal property, issued and transferred as may be ordered by the directors or laws of said company.
SECTION 6. - All the corporate powers of said company shall be vested in and exercised by a board of directors, and such officers and agents as they may appoint. The board of directors shall consist of thirteen persons, stockholders, three of whom, at least, shall be residents of Kansas, who shall be chosen annually, by the stockholders, each share having one vote by person or proxy, and continue in office until their successors are elected and qualified: vacancies in the board may be filled by a vote of two-thirds of the remaining directors.
SECTION 7. - The president and directors, for the time being, are hereby empowered or their officers or agents, to execute all the power herein granted for the purpose of surveying, locating, constructing and operating said railroad and branches and for transportation of persons, goods and merchandise, and authority of contract and management of the affairs, as may be necessary to carry into effect the intent of this act.
SECTION 8. - The said company shall have power to make, ordain and establish such by-laws, rules and regulation as may be deemed expedient for the objects and interests of the company: Provided, they be not inconsistent with the laws of the United States, or of this Territory. They shall have power to establish such rates for transportaition and collect the same, and matters and things respecting the use of said road, the transportation or persons or property as may be necessary.
SECTION 9. - It may be lawful for said railroad company, their agents or engineers for the purpose of exploring, surveying or locating said road, to enter upon any lands, doing no unnecessary damage, without the consent of the owner, and may acquire by release, donation or otherwise, any lands and may hold the same or convey to others, or use the same in any manner deemed for the interests of said company.
SECTION 10. - If said company cannot obtain the right-of-way by purchase or otherwise, or if the owners refuse to agree upon terms, or where the owner is unknown, non-resident, idiot or under age, either party may make application to the district where the lands are situated, upon notice posted ten days in some public place, making the appointment of commissioners to appraise the damage to lands required for the purpose of the road.
SECTION 11. - Upon such application being made to such judge, he shall appoint three disinterested persons to act as commissioners for the appraisal of all such damages, taking into consideration the advantages as well as any injury to the parties interested in such lands; said commissioners shall by public notice, appoint a time and place, and may adjourn, if necessary, for hearing the parties, and proceed to examine the lands, ascertain and determine the damage, if any, and, under oath, impartially and justly to appraise the lands necessary for the use of said company and faithfully perform the duty to the best of their judgment and ability. They or a majority of them, shall make up and sign the award to the parties judge of the district court. The commissioners making such appraisal shall be entitled to pay for their services (at the rate) of three dollars per day and ordinary traveling expenses, which shall be paid by said company.
SECTION 12. - If either party feel aggrieved by such appraisal or award, he may appeal within twenty days after such award is made known, by giving notice to that effect to the opposite party, otherwise both parties shall be bound by the award and the amount shall be paid, upon application of the persons entitled to receive the same. In case of the appeal, a bond shall be filed for the costs in the court, to be paid by the party who shall be entitled to pay the same, as determined by the court aforesaid.
SECTION 13. - In case of appeal or disagreement in regard to the damages, the railroad company may occupy, for the purpose of the construction of the road, by giving satisfactory security to the judge of said court for the ultimate payment of the damages so determined.
SECTION 14. - If any person shall carelessly, willfully or maliciously hinder, delay or obstruct the workmen, or the passage of trains, or shall place any obstruction on the tracks, or in any manner injure or destroy any tools, cars or other property of said railroad, or pertaining to it, or aid or abet any person in the commission of such tresspass, all such person shall forfeit and pay said company, agents or servants, trebel the damages, as shall be proved by any court, and shall be liable to indictment and imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years, in the discretion of the court who shall try the same.
SECTION 15. - Said corporation shall, within reasonable time after said road or branches are definitely located, cause a map and profile to be made of the route of said road, and file the same in the office of the Secretary of the Territory.
SECTION 16. - When fifty thousand dollars have been subscribed to the capital stock and ten percentum actually paid to the grantees herein named, and a certificate from the majority of them, duly authenticated, filed in the office of the secretary of this Territory, they are authorized to organize the company and open books for further subscription, requiring payments or installments from time to time; and, in case of refusal or neglect on the part of stockholders to make payment as required, the shares of such delinquents may, after thirty days' public notice, be sold at auction, and the surplus, if any, deducting payments and interest, shall be paid to such stockholders.
SECTION 17. - When the citizens of any county or city of this Territory are desirous of subscribing to the stock of said company, the citizens of each city or country are authorized to purpchase, subscribe or hold shares, not exceeding one hundred thousand dollars in amount, as shall be determined by the country court or common council making such subscription, in all respects as stock owned by individuals; and such railroad company may dispose of bonds, issued for such stock by said country or council, upon such terms as may be necessary.
SECTION 18. - Subscriptions to the stock of said company may be made in land, in the same manner as in cash, and said company are hereby authorized to hold, purchase and convey the same, as they may deem for their interest.
SECTION 19. - The company are hereby authorized to issue bonds upon their road, or hold and sell the same, in such amounts, upon such terms, above or below par, and at such rates of interest as may be determined, which shall be binding upon the parties interested; Provided, however, that said bonds shall not be issued for a less sum than five hundred dollars.
SECTION 20. - This company shall have power to make such contracts and arrangements with other railroads which connect with or intersect the same, as may be mutully agreed upon by the parties, for leasing or running their roads, or any part thereof, in connection with roads in other States; and shall be empowered to consolidate their property and stock with each other, such consolidation to take place whenever such companies shall respectively agree upon the terms and conditions; and shall have all the powers, previleges and liablilities that they may hold by their separate charters, by filing a copy of such articles of consolidation in the office of the Secretary of this Territory.
SECTION 21. - This act to take effect and be in force from and after its passage.
Speaker of House of Representatives.
C. W. Babcock
President of the Council.
approved February 11, 1859
S. MEDARY, Governor
NOTE: - Name changed to Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Rail Road Company, November 24th 1863, by Directors. Incorporated under reorganization, and name changed to the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company, December 12, 1895.


The Start
Nine years after the original charter was issued: Viz: Friday, October 30th, 1868, the first shovel full of dirt was thrown for the construction on Washington Street, between Fourth and Fifth Streets, in the city of Topeka, Col. C. K. Holliday, its First President, stood on the newly made roadbed the first day it was thrown up by Dan Blush, The contractor of North Topeka and made a speech. Everybody laughed, when he talked of building to Santa Fe, New Mexico and possibly to Galveston, Texas, both of which predictions have long since been realized.
It was necessary for the new road to have track connection with some other road to get material and rolling stock on their line so the first rails were laid at North Topeka, March 23rd, 1869, connecting with the Kansas Pacific (now Uniion Pacific) at their depot across Kansas Avenue, where the present freight depot is located. The first dirt thrown however, and the first demonstration was on the South side of the river at the place named. The original Main Line was in Washington Street, Topeka. It was subsequently changed and moved West in the spring of 1880-'81 under the direction Mr. Geo. B. Lake and the writer.
NOTE: - (The Topeka Weekly Record of October 14th, 1868, now on file in the State Historical society says the work would start in a few days. The same paper of October 28th, 1868, advertises for 500 laborers to work on the new grade, nothing more can be found in this paper. Records not complete. Webb Wilder's History says: "Work began Friday, October 30th, 1868. The surveys having been started September 30th, 1868, by Capt. John R. Ellinwood, Assistant Chief Engineer, under Col. T. J. Peter, Superintendent and Chief Engineer. Captain Ellinwood was really the man that had immediate charge of the surveys, grading, bridging, etc., and did all the work of the Chief Engineer. Dan Blush of North Topeka was the first contractor and threw the first dirt near Fourth and Washington Streets.) Col. Peter had been City Engineer of Cincinnati, Ohio.


The First Time Card
The first time card was published May 1st, 1869, connecting at North Topeka with the Kansas Pacific Railroad and ending temporarily at end of track west of Topeka. It was strung from North Topeka to Burlingame. The stations seem to have been established before the track was laid and the time figured out as the latter did not reach Burlingame until September 18th, 1869. It connected at the latter place with the Barlow, Sanderson & Company's Overland Stage line.
In Effect May 1, 1859
Read Down
No. 3 | No. 1 | | No. 2 | No. 4 |
P. M.| A. M.| | P. M. | A. M. |
3:00 | 7:30 | Lv. North Topeka Arr. | 1:25 | 8:35 |
3:05 | 7:35 | Topeka | 1:20 | 8:30 |
3:45 | 8:15 | Pauline | 12:40 | 7:50 |
4:10 | 8:40 | Wakarusa | 12:15 | 7:25 |
4:45 | 9:15 | Carbondale | 11:40 | 6:50 |
5:05 | 9:35 | Scranton | 11:20 | 6:30 |
5:35 | 10:05 | Arr. Burlingame Lv. | 10:50 | 6:00 |
| | | | P. M. |
Read Up
Trains run daily execpt Sunday. Connect at South Topeka
with Kansas Pacific and at Burlingame with Barlow, Sanderson
& Co. Overland Stage.
T. J. Peter W. W. Fagan
General Manager Superintendent.


The first lunch stand and Eating House established on the Santa Fe Railroad was at Topeka, Ks. It was run under a contract with Mr. Peter Kline, of Topeka, and the Santa Fe Railroad Co., executed by Mr. C. F. Morse, Superintendent, Topeka. Mr. Kline sold out in the spring of 1876, to Mr. Fred Harvey, of Leavenworth, Kansas.
Mr. Harvey's first manager at Topeka was Mr. Guy Potter of Leavenworth. Mr. Potter was succeeded by Mr. Richard Jeffrey. The second Eating House and first motel was established at Florence, Kansas, April 1st, 1876, by Mr. Ben. Putman. He sold out to J. A. Pike & Co., June 14th, 1876. They sold out to Mr. Fred Harvey, January 1st, 1878.
Mr. M. Fisher of Leavenworth, Kansas was Mr. Harvey's first manager, succeeded by Mr. Wm. H. Phillips, of Chicago, who named the house "The Clifton Hotel". Mr. Phillips was succeeded by Mr. Joe Irwin.
From Mr. R. T. Battey, a pioneer citizen and banker of Florence, Kansas, the following information was given the writer, relative to the early history of the Florence Eating House and hotel.
"Mr. Battey lived at Florence when the Santa Fe road reached the town, viz; May 11th, 1871. He says that Mr. Ben Putman opened the first Eating House and Hotel in Florence, April 1st, 1876. It was a rented building on the north side of the track on private ground. He had a contract with the Santa Fe Railroad Company for hotel privileges and also a contract for building a new hotel on Santa Fe ground. The material had began to arrive. Putman got into financial trouble and threw up the job. He sold to J. A. Pike & Co., (Battey being the company). They finished the hotel and opened it June 14th, 1876, and ran it as an Eating House and Hotel for over a year when Fred Harvey appeared in the later part of December 1877. He made them an offer to buy the hotel and furniture and as they were obligated to the Santa Fe company to relinquish the lease on 30 days notice, they accepted Mr. Harvey's off and sold out the hotel and furniture on which date Mr. Harvey executed a lease with the Santa Fe Company for the hotel, etc. He paid J. A. Pike & Co., the sum of $4,370.00 for the hotel and $1,000.00 for the furniture, etc. a total of $5,370.00
The Santa Fe afterwards bought the hotel from Mr. Harvey. It was moved away and abandoned as an Eating House in 1901. The old building is now in use in Florence, used as a Rooming House. Sold to four different parties.
Mr. Harvey had previously been in partnership before coming on the Santa Fe with Mr. Jeff Rice, running restaurants on the Union Pacific. They dissolved in 1877. Mr. D. Benjamin came with Mr. Harvey in 1882.
A great many people think that the late W. B. Strong brought Mr. Harvey to the Santa Fe but this is a mistake. Mr. Harvey's first venture on the Santa Fe was at Topeka in the spring of 1876. His authority for a lunch counter and Eating House at Topeka was made with Mr. C. F. Morse, Superintendent at Topeka. Mr. Strong came on the Road as Vice-President and General Manager, December 17th, 1877. He came from the S.B. & Q.R.R. Mr. Harvey held the position of commercial Agent on that Road, at Leavenworth. No doubt their old friendship was made stronger when Mr. Strong came to the Santa Fe. Mr. Harvey resigned on the Burlington, January 1, 1878.
Mr. Harvey was born in the City of London, England, June 27th, 1836. Died in Leavenworth, Kansas, February 9th, 1901.


Statement that R. L. Engle made preliminary survey, Chicago Division, in 1884, for entire line, Sheffield to Ancona. A. A. Robinson says B. F. Booker, made the first surveys(?)
1884 - Fall. Horace Ropes, Loco. Engr. J. H. Snow, Levelman H. C. Todd , Transitman C. M. Duncan, Topographer
Began surveys at Ft. Madison - end, Dallas City, early in December 1884. Ran line Ft. Madison to 20 miles east of Galesburg. Mr. R. L. Engle in charge of this work, Engle reporting to party named Morse at Kansas City Stock Yards, completing work at Chicago, in March 1885. (Col. C. F. Morse)
Began again in February, 1886, at Keokuk, Iowa, with eight locating parties - John A. Fulton, Sanford Horton, -- Weeks, Horace R. Ropes, A. L. Robinson, A. C. Swartz, C. S. Carpenter, M. F. Temple, R. C. Simmons. - December 1886, moved to Kansas City. January 1887, construction began.
George E. Earle, Division Engineer, Construction south of Green River to north of Bucklin, Mo., on J. A. Fulton Residency, Headquarters - Rockville. Quite early in 1888.
First Construction Engineering expenditures are dated November 1886, B. F. Booker, et al.
A. A. Robinson had personal memorandum books showing his personal connection with railroad matters. These should be obtained from Mr. Robinson, if possible.
A. A. Robinson, received instructions January 1, 1887, to begin construction and complete line within year. Track was laid but operation held up by delay at Sibley Bridge.
J. A. Dailey says R. L. Engle had charge of Chicago office at Room 56, Lakeside Building and that he reported November 21, 1883 for work at that address. December 12, 1883. First surveys parties organized.
CHICAGO TERMINAL - Engineer Nourse of Railway notified Department of Public Works, that he was going to proceed with construction of the Railway Company's Terminal in Chicago. - First permit dated, October 19, 1887. Last Permit dated April 13, 1888,
Later in August 1, 1889 they secured Ordinance for joint entrance with CM&N Ry. From I&M Canal to Stewart Avenue.
9th PARAGRAPH: - Says line was changed from 49th Street to present location in 1887. Ordinance was not passed until August 1, 1889 and it was sometime later before rail was laid - 1887-1888.
10th PARAGRAPH:- Only that part of G. T. Line known as 26th Street leased to I. N. Ry. - The 49th Street line leased to C. J. Ry. For 99 years.
7th PARAGRAPH:- Dated given as April 29, 1888 first train.
First Train was as follows:-

Despatcher's Order #1568 Chicago, September 2, 1887
Conductor Santa Fe Engine #3 - 49th St.


Run wild to Polk Street, Chicago. Look out for wild trains.
12 W.J.H.


On 1027 A. Moreland - J. F. Downey.

January 29th, to April 28th, 1888 Operating Department ran accommodation train out of Argentine. Began using Kansas City Terminal April 29, 1888.
B. F. Booker, Chief Engineer - Kansas City
Octave Chanute, Consulting Engineer of Bridges - K. C.
John F. Wallace, Engr. Sibley, Bridge, - K. C.
Emerson W. Grant, Resident Engineer.
R. S. Muir, Resident Engineer.
Geo. M. Earle,. Resident Engineer. Sec. 194 212
P. F. Barr, Resident Engineer. Sec. 155-193
G. W. Vaughn, Resident Engineer.
B. F. Crocker, Engr. Buildings, Chicago
F. M.. Bisbee, Supt. Tracklaying - Kansas City
Williams Holt and Wheeler, Attorneys - Chicago
Craig Hunter, Chief Clerk to Chief Engineer - Kansas City
Sub-structure Sibley Bridge, contracted, January 10, 1887
Sub-structure Ft. Madison Bridge contracted February 15, 1887
Kansas City to Des Moines River - B. F. Booker, C.E.
Des Moines River to Chicago - P. F. Barr, C.E.
Des Moines River to Chicago - G. W. Vaughn
Sibley (Missouri River) Bridge - (Original Structure)
For article on construction, with photo of progress and lithograph of original plans, with discussion by O. Chanute, John F. Wallace and W. H. Breithaupt, see American Society of Engineers Transactions, Vol. XXI, September 1889, page 97.
For permits for tracks laid in Chicago as given by Commissioner of Public Works, see Chief Engineer System file 864. See file 867 for copies of ordinances all lines in Chicago
Sheet #2 - Comments and Additional Historical Data - (continued)
Page 36 1816 - First suggestion made for canal and R/W obtained for Indians. & 37 1822 - Congress passed an act authorizing State of Illinois to construct canal over the public lands and niety-feet of land was given on each side of canal to state
1823 - Legislature of Illinois appointed a Board of Canal Commissioners to make estimate and examination. Cost of Survey to State $10,000.
1827 - Another Act passed by congress, which granted to State a quantity of land equal to one half of five sections on each side of the canal, and reserving each alternate section to United States.
1829 - New Board organized with power to make further surveys and begin the work.
1831 - By a further Act, Commissioners authorized to lay out towns and did lay off and sell lots in Chicago and Ottawa.
1833 - By a further Act passed granting to State Right to construct a railroad in place of a canal.
1835 - General assembly of Illinois passed an act entitled An Act for the construction of the I&M Canal. Board of Canal Commissioners appointed.
1836 - Above act repealed and new board selected. Work began - July 4
Public notice given that sealed proposals would be received from May 25 to June 6, for construction of Summit Div. Of Canal. Contracts let and labor performed to amount of $35,744.83. Commissioners laid off town lots at Chicago and sold them to amount of $1,000,000.00, with understanding that canal was to be completed.
1837 - Legislature passed an amendatory act of 1836 to aid in its completion. Commissioners also sold lots and lands to assist in paying off Canal Debt.
1842 - Nov. 12. 100.88 miles of Canal completed.
1843 - Act passed to provide for the completion of the I&M Canal and for the payment of canal debt. Trustees appointed.
1848 - Canal completed. For detail information, see report of Canal Commission, dated 12-1-1900 on file law department, Chicago
Do not find in history of I&M Canal any reference to fact that it was built by an English Syndicate. - Only English was the Mill - Right and the Prince of Wales who opened the Canal.
Page 36 - 11th PARAGRAPH: Statement is made that right - of - way is joint in Chicago with Illinois Central which is in error, as Right - of - way is owned by each company separately, only the surplus is still owned jointly.
5th PARAGRAPH: Bernard F. Booker - Born August 22, 1858, Buffalo, N.Y. Graduate Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Md., July 1877. Head Chainman, Surveys, N.M. in 1878. Various capacities in Kansas and New Mexico untill 1881 - Asst. Engr. Constn. Completing connection at Deming with Southern Pacific. 1881-3, Location and Construction MN&A ry. - 1882, Sept. 11, married Miss Mary Steffan, Virginia City, Nev. - 1883, Tampico Branch, M.C. Ry. Mexico - 1885, CB&Q Ry., Colorado1886, Spring Surveys in Missouri for AT&SF Ry. Chief Asst. Engineer in charge construction Chicago, line, Kansas City to Des Moines River. - 1888, October, transferred to Texas, Chief Engineer, M. W. GC&SF Ry. Transferred to Topeka - Surveys I. T. Okla. And New Mexico 1893, December, resigned, account failing health, going to City of Mexico. - 1894, July 21st, Died in Virvinia City, Nevada. Widow and three children living. - 1885 - October 7th. Jr. Member of A.S.C. Engineers. - 1891, June 2nd, Member A.S.C. Engineers.
Original location of line was from Crawford Avenue east, (City Limits) followed present location to about Leavitt Street; thence along north side of I&M Canal to Terminal east of Ashland Ave..
Kansas City - Chicago Line. Last gap in tracklaying closed West of Medill, MO,. At Engineer's Station, 1737+50 December 31, 1887, at 8 P.M.
MO. Div. - Track laid over Mississippi River Bridge, November 15th to December 16th, 1887.
Tracklaying in Iowa began April 1, 1887, ended December 31, 1887. Connecting with track laid from La Plata, east. See Exhibit with dates attached.
Wm. R. Smith of Kansas City purchased the R/W of the Kansas City - End of Line,
C. S. F. & Ry. Turned over to Operating Department, April 29, 1888.
Original Lease C&WI Depot and Terminal, dated May 21, 1887. Effective December 1, 1887. Supplemental lease was dated September 19, 1887, first used by AT&SF, September 25, 1887.
7th PARAGRAPH - P. E. Heman now living at Joliet was first conductor on train of April 29, 1888. 12:05 Noon.
Line opened for operation Ft. Madison to Anconia, January 1, 1888.
Hinkley - constructed from the Grand Trunk Jct. - commenced in 1884. Completed in 1885.
Sheet #3 - Comments and Additional Historical Data (Continued)
Illinois Division - (Continued)
Page 37 - The first station was at 26th street and Western Avenue.
The next was just east of Ashland Avenue and south of the river, the main line being now known as Elevator Track.
JOLIET TRACK ELEVATION: Nov. 18, 1904. Date of M.L. Ordinance #2160. Jan 22, 1906. Date of Ordinance #2219, See Sec. #20709, Branch Line.
Joint ownership, see letter W. B. Storey to W. D. Taylor - 2/8/08 see letter W. D. Taylor to W. B. Storey - 2/28/08
Tracklaying - Ancona to Ft. Madison, started in 1887 - completed to Ft. Madison April 26, 1888 See detail Exhibit Attached.
Track Elevation - 16th and Clark Street: - Elevation and depression of tracks. See completed report dated, October 1899, made by major G. W. Vaughn, Engineer in Charge in file 100-U-CES Chicago office, elevating 7 miles of track; 4847-Lin. Ft. Of retaining walls and abutments containing about 17,000 Cu. Yds. Of concrete masonry. Joint with L.S.& M.S. Ry. - C.R.I. & P. Ry. - C. & W.I. RR. - C.M.& N. RR. - AT&SF ry. Co. In Chicago - C.& A. RR. - St. Cal. RR.
Work done by Advisory Board with representatives from each Railway.
February 1, 1898, James Dun, Chief Engineer - AT&SF Ry. - Chairman of Board.
March 1, 1898 - Maj. G. W. Vaughn, Engineer in charge.
April 14, 1898 - Contract for masonry 1st to Brownell Impvt. Co.
April 24, 1898 - Work began on Masonry
April 27, 1898 - Clark street closed to traffic.
July 29, 1898 - Tracks raised on sand, beginning of work.
Aug. 11, 1898 - Tracks raised on sand, completed
Nov. 4, 1898 - Tracks laid in final position
Oct. 1, 1899 - Date of final completion and cost report.
Track Elevation (Joint) 18th Street and I&M Canal. - C.M. & N. - C.& A. - AT&SF - Contract by Board composed of Chief Engineer of each company, James Dun, Chief Engineer. AT&SF Ry / Major Vaughn, Engineer in Charge. Bluett Lee, Attorney. First Meeting August 13, 1900. Cost to AT&SF Ry. $554,604.36
May 22, 1899 - Ordinance Passed.
Jan. 15, 1900 - Ordinance passed and accepted by Company Surveys made Summer and Fall of 1900 and Spring of 1901
Feb. 5, 1901 - Contract for bridges let to A. B. Co.
Feb. 18, 1901 - Contract for concrete work to Brownell Impv. Company.
May 25, 1901 - Contract for sand filling to Knickerbocker Ice Co..
Apr. 26, 1901 - Work of elevation begun
Aug. 9, 1901 - Contract for bridge erection Kelly Atkinson Co.. Job contains 48,009 C. Yds. Concrete. 588,868 Cubic Yards sand.
Apr. , 1903 - All tracks elevated.
Jul. 30, 1904 - Bridge work completed.
1893 miles of track elevated at a cost of $99,337.92, per mile of $18.814 per Lin. Ft.
For details see completion report of Major G. W. Vaughn, dated October15,1904 and on file in Chief Engineer System, file 100-B
Page 37 - 4th PARAGRAPH: - Says grading was started in 1871-1872. My record shows grading was finished in 1871, between Ancona and Chicago. Tracklaying finished September 21, 1872.
Between Pekin and Streator, 57.7 miles - Tracklaying began at Pekin June 1, 1872 and completed to Streator, September 16, 1872.
Preliminary Survey started June 29, 1869 by A. E. Blount.

The amount of rental paid to the C. & W. I. RR Co. For rent of Dearborn Station by the Santa Fe is $100,000.00 per annum with a deduction of $30,000 per annum, making a net total of $70,000.00. In addition to this we also pay 1/6 of the rental and taxes paid by the C. & W.I. to the A.T. & S. F. For rent of Plymouth Place property, and a like proportion of the rent paid by the C. & W. I. To the Wabash for rent of property between 12th and 15th streets, from which is deducted a proportion of the trackage charge recieved by the C. & W.I. from the Chespeake & Ohio, which is credited to income in the C. & W.I. Accounts.
Contracts for the building of Dearborn Station were let in 1883. The station was opened for business in May 1885. There was no general contract. The work was all divided up between the following contractors, to wit;
Joseph Downey - Foundation
H. A. Streeter - Iron Work
Tomlinson & Reed - Cut Stone
Perth-Amboy Terra Cotta Co. - Terra Cotta
Edward Hudson - Carpenter work
Durham Drainage Co. - Drains
E. R. Davis - Roofing
Frank Tudor - Heating
M. J. Carboy - Plumbing
Dauchy & Company - Lighting Fixtures
H. Diblee - Tile Floors
Healy & Millett - Stained Glass
J. B. Sullivan & Bro. - Painting
> Pencil note says Architect was C. L. W Eidlitz

Chicago to East Fort Madison (State Line) 230 miles long.
For that portion in Chicago: Incorporated in Illinois as the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Company in Chicago, May 11, 1887. Sold March 6th, 1902 to the A. T. & S. F. Ry. Co..
For that portion outside of Chicago: incorporated in Illinois as the Chicago, Santa Fe & California Railway Company. December 3rd, 1886. Sold June 1st, 1900 to the A. T. & S. F. Ry. Co.
Lines in Chicago, Dearborn Station to Crawford Avenue - 6.43 miles, less C. & W.I. RR. Co., Dearborn Station to Stewart Avenue, 1.43 miles. Total 5.00 miles, completed into Chicago in 1886 and '87 by President F. E. Hinkley, under the old Chicago, Pekin & Southwestern R.R. Company, Charter i.e. that portion from Ancona to Chicago. (See description Pekin Branch)
R.L. Engle made preliminary survey as early as 1884 for the entire line Sheffield to Ancona, followed by B. F. Booker, Horace R. Ropes and others in 1886-87. They ran several lines from Keokuk and other points.
P. F. Barr was appointed Chief Engineer of Location and contstruction January 1st, 1887, under A. A. Robinson, form Des Moines River to Chicago. Succeeded later by Major Geo W. Vaughn.
Grading was started January 1st 1887. Finished in 1887. The first train out of Chicago run by the Santa Fe was April 29th, 1888, at which time, the Chicago line passed to the operating department.
D J. Chase was General Superintendent and Mr. A. H. Crocker, Division Superintendent. Mr. Chase was succeeded by H. R. Nicherson and Mr. Crocker by H. C. Ives.
The Santa Fe used the 26th Street Line (Grand Trunk) when they first went into Chicago to reach Dearborn Station. They changed to their own line as above described on July 20th, 1887, when they bought the line.
The Santa Fe as before stated, bought the 26th Street Line from the Grand Trunk Railway Company, July 20th, 1887, Leased to the Illinois Northern Railway Company, August 1st, 1902, for fifty years.
The Santa Fe use the lift span, East of Ashland Avenue, over Chicago River, under a contract (Sec's. No. 14101) The Chicago, Madison & Northern (Illinois Central) have joint Right-of-way in Chicago with the Santa Fe from about 21st Street to a point between Kedsie and California Avenues, about Mile Post 5, where they diverge. (see map of Chicago)
The old stone piers now abandoned, in Chicago, just west of the lift span over the Chicago River, each side of Ashland Avenue, were built by a steel company on their own ground and at thier expense. The spur track turned out of the C. & A..
The line between Chicago and Joliet is built between two canals. The Illinois and Michigan on the South side, built in 1837 by an English Syndicate, sold to the U. S. Government who donated it to the State of Illinois, who deepened it between 18709 and 1880; and the Drainage Canal on the north side, built in 1893-'99.
Sheet #2 - Illinois Division.
The track elevation in Chicago, 16th and Clark Streets, started April 24, 1891, finished October 1, 1899; 18th Street and Ashland Avenue, started April 26, 1901, finished October 15, 1904, Major George W. Vaughn, Engineer in charge.
There was a change of line west of Corwith; also at Lemont and Lockport and the east end of Joliet Yard, by reason of building the Sanitary Canal. (See maps in Chief Engineer's Office.)
Track elevation was started in Joliet: Santa Fe, February 7, 1906. Rock Island, 1910 and C. & A. 1910. All completed in 1912.
The Union Depot was started in 1911, and completed in 1912. Opened November 1, 1912.
The old stone abutments (now abandoned) on the south side of the track in the west end of Joliet Yard, over Hickory Creek, were built in 1890, when a spur track was put in to get to the Western Stome Company's quarry. This bridge was a Howe Truss and was washed off in the big flood of 1902, whenall of Joliet was flooded.
The Santa Fe (Pekin Line) used to run under the C. & A. Bridge at Hickory Creek, west end of Joliet Yard. The C. & W. Had a Howe Truss Bridge. The Santa Fe bridge was a through girder, the old abutment can still be seen; also the old roadbed on the north side of the C. & A. They changed the alignment and the Joliet Yard in 1890, and not run under the C. & A. Bridge further west, on a seven degree thirty minute curve. B. Lantry & Sons did the work in the long rock cut leading out to the Patterson Road. At Ancona the Santa Fe changed the 7 degree 30' curve and put in a 3 degree curve in the main line. This required 1.10 acres of ground, for which we paid $1800.00. It destroyed two wells, required the moving of all the outbuildings, residences, etc.. This was done in 1905, when the double track was built. We use the C. & A. For double track (east bound) from Pequot Station to Plains, a distance of 16.2 miles. (see contract 22761). The piece of new track coming down the hill at Plaines Station to get onto the Santa Fe belongs to the Santa Fe, built in 1905.
At Toluca, there is an old railroad grade built West of the station, that was made by M. J. Devlin, to cross overhead to connect with his Coal Road. The Toluca, Marquette and Northern. It died with the death of Mr. Devlin.
At Dahinda, the Santa Fe made a big change of line in 1908-'09 when the double track was built. They put in a new steel bridge over Spoon River on the new line, moved the depot to its present location, etc. (see map) When this bridge was built in 1887-'88, Mr. O. Chanute was the Consulting Engineer.
The original Illinois River bridge was under Mr. O. Chanute, Consulting Engineer, under Mr. A. A. Robinson in 1887-'88. Rebuilt in 1906, (draw span) There were long approaches to this bridge, when first built. Filled up by contract with dump cars.
At Chillicothe, the Santa Fe owns a large gravel pit, 175 acres, on the North side of the track, which furnished a very fine gravel for ballasting and commercial purposes.
There is an old abandoned railroad grade in the East end of Dahinda Yard, along the right bank of the Spoon River, that is graded North for several miles to some coal mines. The bridges were partly built To track was ever laid.
W. S. Love, Manager, started a boom cith, West edge of Lomax, -1914. About one- hundred houses and some factories, etc. Were built. For the present the boom seems to have died out. There are many vacant houses.
Just west of Pontoosuc there are the remains of an old abandoned roadbed on the North side of the track, built towards Fort Madison for some distance, know as the Warsaw and Rockford Railroad, built in 1856. Abandoned for lack of means to complete. Some bridges were built, ties purchased and piled up at Dallas, Pontoosuc and East Fort Madison. They were for Rockford, Illinois.
Pontoosuc Quarry, located on the south side of the track, about two miles of Pontoosuc and 6.3 miles east of Ft. Madison. The stone is known as Dolomite, which is well known for its hardness and fire proof qualities. It is distinguished from lime stone by its specific gravity; its hardness and its behavior with acids. Owned by Druggist, Shaffer & Son, Ft. Madison.
The second track on the Illinois Division was completed during the following years:
From To Month Year


Chicago Joliet 1905
Joliet Plaines 1904
Plaines Pequot (we use C&A East Bound-16.20 Miles)
Pequot Coal City November 1905
Coal City Kernan September 1906
Kernan Ancona November 1905
Ancona Leeds September 1906
Leeds Toluca December 1909
Toluca Ill. River Bridge November 1909
Ill. River Br. Chillicothe December 1910
Chillicothe Edelstein July 1911
Edelstein Knox July 1911
Knox Galesburg August 1909
Galesburg Smithshire September 1910
Smithshire E. Ft. Madison June 1909

The above dates were given corresponding to the President's authority.

Joliet Union Depot Company.
Incorporated in Illinois, October 11th, 1913, for 50 - years.
Capital stock authorized $30,000. $30,000. Issued - 291 shares. 9 shares to directors. Illinois Trust & Savings Bank, Trustees for Railroad Company.
The following railroads use the depot:
A.T. &S.F. RY. Co.
C.R.I. & P. Ry. Co.
C. & A. R.R, Co.
The above railroads own equally the capital stock. The Union Depot company does not own any tracks.
The Union Depot was started in 1911 and completed in 1912. Opened November 1st, 1912. Jarvis Hunt, Architect. J. B. French, Engineer and Inspector.

Mr. J. M. Meade,
TOPEKA, Kansas.
Dear Sir:
Would say, in reference to yours of recent date, that I was the Conductor on Train #2, from Fort Madison to Chicago, on April 10th, 1889, This train was run into from the rear by an Extra Stock Train, at Lorenzo, Illinois. A Mr. Hart, wife and six year old son were killed and a young lady, a sister of Mr. Hart, was killed, but cannot remember her name. There was also a Dr. Lamb who was badly hurt, but finally recovered. Those people all lived in Brookline, Mass. Mr. Hart at that time was one of the Directors of the old Atlantic & Pacific R. R. There was also a colored porter killed. I think his name was White and he lived in Los Angeles.
The young lady, the colored porter and Mr. Hart's son were dead when we removed them from the wreck. Mr. Hart and his wife passed away a few days later, at the Hope Hospital in Chicago. They were very badly burned. The engine of the stock train was burried full length in the Special car. The steam pipes were broken and filled the car with hot steam and did the deadly work. Myself and two stock men from Lathrop Missouri, got the dead and injured out. I do not remember the names of the two stock men, but they helped me at a time when I much needed it and the Company did not forget them for it, for they always had an annual pass while I was with the Company.
Harry W. Lamb of Brookline, Mass, was the first one to get out. He had wrapped himself up in blankets to keep the hot steam from him, and that I think saved his life. When we carried him into the little depot at Lorenzo, I went back to him and he had revived and could talk a little. He asked for the young lady. I told him that accounts for the bridal party, While Mr. Lamb was in the hospital in Chicago, he sent for me. He said he owed his life for me and said he always wanted to know where I was and the next Christmas he sent me a check for $100.00.
Engine #531 was pulling #2 on this night, Engineer Jack Binder. The wreck occurred at 4:07 in the morning.

Ancona to Pekin - 57.70 miles (less 5.91 miles belonging to the T.P. & W. RR. Co. Which we run over from Streator Junction to Pekin Junction. See contract Secretary's number 5813 with the C.P. & SW. RR. Co. Made September 21st, 1872.
First Board of Directors elected June 29th, 1869.
This line was first projected, Chicago to Pekin and beyond and was incorporated in Illinois as the Chicago, Pekin and South Western R.R. Co. Name changed by act of the Legislature to the Chicago and Plainfield R.R. Co. February 24th, 1859. Name change again April 19th, 1869. Sold under foreclosure May 31st, 1881. Acquired December 31st, 1883 by the C.St.L. & W. RR. Co.. Incorporated again in Illinois as the Chicago & St. L. & W. RR. Co. May 15th, 1882. Sold March 23rd, 1885 to the C. & St. L. Ry. Co. Sold to the CSF&C Ry. Co., December 15th, 1886. Sold to the AT&SF Ry. Co. June 1st, 1900. On the 15th day of December, 1886, the Santa Fe took possession of the line Chicago to Pekin.
Grading was started in 1871-2 at the Peking end. Mr. F. E. Hinkley of Galesburg Ill., was the president. Elected January 9th, 1872. A. E. Blount was the first Chief Engineer, W. P. Sisson of Galesburg was the first superintendent. Succeeded in 1876 by D. H. Conklin. He staid as superintendent until 1880 when he was relieved by S. B. Reed as receiver. He appointed J. M. Murry, Superintendent. Both Messrs. Reed and Murry resigned in 1882 and went to the Canadian pacific. Succeeded by Mr. T. D. Gant, as receiver Mr. A. H. Crocker was receiver when the Santa Fe bought the road, December 15th, 1886. He staid for a while as Superintendent. Was succeeded by H. C. Ives as Superintendent. Mr. B. T. Lewis was private Secretary to the President. Afterwards Chief Clerk to Mr. A. A. Robinson, C. E. And G. M. Of the AT&SF Ry. Mr. F. Plumb was Sec.
Sheet #4 - Illinois Division. Pekin Branch - Continued.
On the 21st day of September, 1872, the first train was run through from Pekin to Streator (a mixed train) The original contractors were Pierce, Clark & Sharp. They failed. Contract transferred to Col. Ralph Plumb, on January 6th, 1873. The road from Streator to Pekin was formally opened for freight and passenger trains.
The old Chicago, Pekin and South Western bought and condemned at one time the right-of-way from Streator Junction (Eureka) to Pekin Junction and did considerable grading in short stretches over the entire line (approximately six miles) but never, laid any track upon it. They have now lost all right and title to same by adverse possession. They own one track however, through Eurka Yard, which they maintain and look after. At on time they had a round house, turntable, etc. At Streator Junction. The remains of the foundation are still visible. The old Company stopped for some time at Streator and ran out northwest toward Plainfield. They then changed back to about where the line now is in 1875. They built from Streator to Mazon Creek, where they met the C. & A. (Formerly the Chicago & Illinois River R.R. ) and ran into Chicaog over the C. & A. In 1884-'85 they built into Chicago from the reverse curve, just West of Mazon Creek to Western Avenue and 26th Street and connected with the street cars and then used the Grand Trunk to get to Dearborn Station. Mr. Hinkley built the bridge over Mazon Creek.
The Santa Fe got a charter for the AT&SF RR Co. In Chicago. Incorporated in Illinois May 11th 1887. Sold March 26th, 1902 to the AT&SF Ry. Co.
The Santa Fe bought the 26th street line form the Grand Trunk Railway Company, July 20th, 1887. Leased to the Illinois-Northern Railway Company August 1st, 1902, for fifty years. They, Chicago, Pekin and South Western stopped quite a while at Joliet waiting for money to go on. They had a hard financial struggle, form beginning to end, but found a very satisfactory purchaser in the Santa Fe. It is said they made good money and paid up all debts with a handsome surplus left over. At one time they had a turntable, shops of different kinds, just south of Corwith. The remains of the different foundations can still be traced on the ground.
The red Express (Chicago to St. Louis) was put on in October 1890 and pulled off in the fall of 1892. The train was turned over to the Peoria, Pekin & Jacksonville Railroad at Eureka, Illinois.
At Pekin a new 6-stall Frame Round House was built in 1916-1917, by Contractor Lundgren & Carlson A new 85-ft. Steel Turntable was put in at the same time. (JMM-c)

At Toluca we built a reservoir in 1902 of nineteen million capacity, one-half a mile west of the Depot, south side of the track, 14 square miles drainage area. Water is not treated.



Page 43. See History of Santa Fe's entrance into Galesburg by Col. Clark E. Carr.
W. Selden Gale of Galesburg, Ill.,
purchased right - of - way through Illinois.
Died in 1900.
Asst. Right - of - way
Agents were:
Wm. Mellar, Canton Ill.
John Sloan, Magoon, Ill.
- Grading began - January 1, 1887.
- Grading completed - October 1, 1887
-Tracklaying began - October 3, 1887
- Tracklaying completed, Jan 25, 1888
Page 48.
6th PARAGRAPH; - Preliminary
- A. M. Whiting, C.E.
- 1868 Location completed
- 1869 Grading Began
- 1869 Grading finished
- 1870 Tracklaying began
- 1870 Tracklaying ended

Fort Madison (State Line ) to Sheffield, 214.20 Miles long.
Built under the same charter as the Illinois Division, viz; Incorporated in Illinois as the Chicago, Santa Fe and California Railway Company, December 3rd, 1886. Sold June 1st 1900 to the Santa Fe.
The Mississippi River Railroad and toll bridge company was a separate charter. Incorporated in Illinois November 9th, 1886. Length 0.61 miles long. Sold to the Santa Fe June 1st, 1900. This bridge was built under the direction of Mr. O. Chanute, Consulting Engineer, in 1887-'88. W. W. Curtis, Resident Engineer. Built by the Union Bridge Company.
Grading was started January 1st, 1887. First passenger train over Missouri Division January 29th, 1888. D. J. Chase, Chicago, General Superintendent. C. L. Nichols, Superintendent, Ft. Madison. Mr. Chase was succeeded by H. R. Nickerson and Mr. Nichols by W. E. Costello.
At Fort Madison a new brick depot was built in 1909-'10.
The Keokuk Dam was commenced January 1st, 1910. Last concrete put in dam May 31st, 1913. Current delivered at St. Louis, July 1st, 1913. First boat through lock June 12th, 1913.
Our Yards at Shopton and Ft. Madison, except the Main Line are below high water. High water is estimated by the Keokuk Dam People at 525.2'. It may go above this. If it does they become liable for damages under Contract. El B.M. at Anthes Hotel. 541.32 Memphis Datum. Equation between Santa Fe and Memphis datum 12.81. Santa Fe datum, base of rail Bridge 231-A (old 335) 530.07. Memphis datum 542.88. Estimated high water 525.20. Waiting room floor Ft. Madison Depot 531.30 Waiting room floor Freight Depot 531.39. Shopton office floor 530.01.
At Devils Creek near Macuta, the steel span was washed off the abutments June 8th, 1905 and new span and girder were put in 1907. Grade as raised about 2-1/2 feet before bridge was built.
The Santa Fe through Iowa (19.90 miles) was incorporated in Iowa as the Chicago, Santa Fe and California Railway Company, December 13th , 1886. Sold July 15th, 1887, to the C.S.F. & C. Ry. Co. Sold to the A.T.&S.F. Ry. Co. June 1st, 1890.
Just East of Dumas there is an old roadbed graded on the North side of the track leading to stone quarry put in by L.W. Lewis for a stone crusher in 1888. Pulled up in 1890. Relaid in 1892. The stone for the Media & Williamsfield Bridges came from this quarry. L. W. Lewis installed a crusher plant there again in 1894-'95. The tracks were taken up in 1896. It is about a mile from the Main Line to the quarry.
The DesMoines River was the dividing line, between the Chief Engineers on construction. B. F. Booker, Chief Engineer, DesMoines River to Sheffield under A. A. Robinson. (see description Illinois Division). Mr. O. Chanut was Consulting Engineer for Des Moines River Bridge.
Just West of Dumas Yard, L. W. Lewis Sons have a stone quarry and rock crusher.
Between Wyaconda and Gorin about Mile Post 275.6 there is an old abandoned roadbed, known as the Buell Line. It was proposed to build this line from Canton, Missouri on the Mississippi River to Centerville, Iowa, standard gauge. The grading was started in 1866. Stopped for a few years. Was revived again in 1877. It was to pass through the towns of Bunker Hill, Williamstown, Fairmont, Memphis and on to Centerville, Iowa. Understand the track was laid at one time to within five miles of Williamstown.
At Medill, the C.B.&Q. Built and own the depot and brick platform. Operated jointly with the Santa Fe.
At Marceline a new brick depot and office building was built in 1912-13. Opened April 10th, 1913. A new freight depot was built the same year. Also a lunch stand. Leased and built on by F. M. And Arthur Wolfe, in 1913.
We have made a survey from Marceline to Rothville for a double track on a 0.50% grade, but as long as we have already double tracked on an 0.80% grade, it is doubtful if it is ever built. This piece of double tracking was done before we decided to change the grade from an 0.80% to 0.50% grade. The proposed line has been located and is in every way feasible.
At Grand River there was very high water and some bad washouts in 1907. The grade was raised and a new double track bridge put in over Dean Lake, and tow over-flow bridges East of Grand River and a new double track span built over Grand River and an over-flow bridge put in West of Grand River. When Grand River bridge was originally built in 1887-'88 it was done under the direction of Mr. O. Chanute, Consulting Engineer.
At Mendon and Dean Lake the depots were moved to the opposite side of Track (South Side)
At Carrollton a new brick depot was bult in 1916-17 by Lungred & Carlson. Work begun September 1916. Finished June 1917 - Cost $20,000.00.
When the double track was built in 1907 at Lexington Junction a new brick depot was built in 1912 and 1913. Agent moved in on January 27, 1913.
Also a brick lunch Stand, by Phillips & Hamilton in 1913.
The yard was also remodeled in 1912 and 1913.

The Sibley Bridge Company was built under a separate charter. Incorporated in Missouri, March 24, 1887. Length 0.76 of a mile. Sold to The A. T. & S. F. Ry. Co., June 1st, 1890. Mr. O. Chanute was Consulting Engineer under Mr.. A. A. Robinson. John F. Wallace, Resident Engineer. C. J. Bell, Asst. Engineer. W. H. Harvey, Inspector. The Original Bridge was built by the Union Bridge Company in 1887-'88 and rebuilt in 1913-'14-'15. The bridge was taken down and erected by the Missouri Valley Bridge Company and Company forces. The American Bridge Company made the Bridge. Mr. F. H. Frailey was the Engineer in Charge.
The Missouri Pacific use the Santa Fe track from Eton to Congo, a distance of 7.70 miles. (see Contract No. 15437).
In the west end of the Fort Maison Yard the line was changed and thrown north and grade changed, at Deveils Creek. The grade was raiesed about 2-1/2 feet. At Mile Post 257.2 there was a big change in line.
West of Dumas a 6 degree curve was changed to a 3 degree curve and slight change made in the grade. There was one 3 degree curve eliminated at Mile Post 257.8. At Mile Post 258.0 we changed a 4 degree 30 minute to a 3 degree curve. At Mile Post 258.5 we changed a 4 degree curve t a 3 degree curve.
West of Revere we changed the line as follows:
Mile Post 261.8 at 5 degree curve was changed to a 3 degree curve
" " 252.2 a 4 degree curve was eliminated
" " 262.5 there was a 4 degree curve eliminated
" " 262.6 there was a 2 degree curve inserted account of change of line
" " 262.7 there was a 4 degree curve taken out at this same change of line
" " 265.2 there was a 4 degree curve changed to a 3 degree curve.
" " 265.9 there was a 5 degree 30 minute curve changed to a 3 degree curve.
Mile Post 283.1 West of Gorin, there was a change of line and a 6 degree curve was changed to a 3 degree curve.
Mile Post 283.4 a 6 degree curve was changed to a 3 degree curve. " " 283.6 there was a change of line, a 3 degree curve was eliminated and a 1 degree curve was put in at Mile Post 289.2
West of Rutledge, there was a 4 degree curve changed to a 3 degree curve.
West of Fabious, Mile Post 291.2 there was a 6 degree curve changed to a 3 degree curve. At Motter, Mile Post 292.0 there was a 3 degree curve changed to a 1 degree 30 minute curve.
Just East of Kenwood, there was a change of line. Mile Post 300.4 - 2 4 degree curves taken out replaced by a 2 degree curve.
West of La Plata there was a change of line, Mile Post 319.0, there was a 4 degree curve taken out and replaced by a 2 degree curve.
At Mile Post 319.4 there was a 3 degree curve taken out and replaced by a 3 degree curve.
West of Cardy, Mile Post 325.8 a 6 degree curve was taken out and replaced by a 0.30 minute curve.
West of Ethel, there was a change of line. Mile Post 336.1, there was a 4 degree curve changed to a 3 degree curve. Also at Mile Post 336.5 a 4 degree curve was changed to a 1 degree curve.
West of Hart, Mile Post 341.8, there was a 6 degree curve changed to a 4 degree curve. At Mile Post 342.0 there was a 6 degree curve changed to a 4 degree curve.
West of Marceline at at Mile Post 357.5 there was a 6 degree curve changed to a 2 degree curve. West of Dean Lake, Mile Post 377.1 there was a 4 degree curve changed to a 2 degree curve.
West of Sibley, Mile Post 431 to 433, there was a change of line, six curves were changed and reduced to four curves. Mile Post 433.5 a 6 degree curve changed to a 3 degree curve.
There was a piece of momentum grade put in West of Bosworth. East Bound Mile Post 382 and 383. Rate 1%. West Bound Mile Post 383.2 and Mile Post 384. Rate 1.50%. These grades were put in. Where we reduced the grade from an 0.80% grade to 0.50% grade in order to overcome the undesirable height of the two bridges over the Big Creek. The first one was about 1800 - Ft. Long and the second one was about 2000-ft long. So far we have never had any trouble. They work O.K.
The grade was ordered changed Sheffield to Marceline from an 0.8% to 0.5% in and it has all been done except Sheffield to Congo and Rothville to Marceline.
We use the Wabash for our East bound trains on double track between Carrollton Junction and Hardin (17.70 Miles). See contract #22103. They use our west bound track, Carrollton Junction to Camden Junction - 29.50 miles.
Sheet #3 - Missouri Division.
The first double tracking was put into operation the following years:
Shopton to Newton, Boston in 1907
New Boston to Wyaconda in 1910
Wyaconda to Bucklin in 1911
Bucklin to Marceline in 1907
Marceline to Rothville in 1906
Rothville to Carrollton in 1913
Carrollton to Carrollton, Jct. in 1907
Carrollton Jct., to Hardin (17.79 Mi. Wabash Track)
Hardin to Lexington Jct. in 1907
Lexington Jct. To Camden Jct. in 1907
Camden Jct. to Floyd (single Track)
Floyd to East End Sibley Bridge in 1915
Sibley Bridge (single Track)
West End Sibely Bridge to Sibley in 1915
Sibley to Eton in 1910
Eton to Congo in 1905


Elmer - About two miles West of the station, North side of track burnt in 1892- '93. Mike Osborne. Contractor, for the American Clay Ballast Company, Mr. Osborne was at one time Superintendent of Roadway and Bridges for the Santa Fe, 1886-1888.
Rothville - About one mile West of Depot, North side of track burn in 1896, by the Davie Clay Ballast Company.
Norborne - West of the station, about two miles North side of the track, Burnt in 1893. Second pit same location was burnt in 1896 by the same company.


"Mr. E. S. Rice,
Chicago, Illinois.
Dear Sir:
Referring to your letter of May 9th, addressed to Mr. F. M. Bisbee, asking him to have me write a synopsis of the early preliminary and location surveys, Kansas City to Chicago, giving dates of beginning, ending, etc. I have been in Amarillo two days during the month of May, hence the delay in writing you.
I am afraid that I can give you but little of what you ask for; for while I was connected with the work, I was only interested in a part of it and as for dates, I can only give them in a general way, have also forgotten the names of some who were prominently associated with the work.
Early in the Autumn of 1884, Mr. Horace Ropes, organized a locating party of which H. C. Todd was Transitman, I was Levelman and C. M. Duncan, Topographer. We mobilized at Fort Madison and spent some time there making soundings in the Miss. River, the first idea being to cross below the present bridge and make use of an Island, now submerged since the building of the Keokuk dam. We also made soundings opposite Dallas City. The line, however, as then located was approximately where the road is constructed, from a point on the Illinois shore opposite Ft. Madison, We located the line as far as Dallas City on an abandoned roadbed. The grading has been done (we were told) prior to the Civil war, which caused its abandonment. We were in the field until early in December 1884 and ran the line from Ft. Madison to a point about twenty miles east of Galeton. Mr. R. L. Engle was in charge of the work, and probably had parties in the field east and west of use. He reported to a man named Morse who was connected with the Kansas City stock yards. We had no camping outfit but foraged on the inhabitants, parceling out a few at the various farm houses as we went along, having no charter, we had much trouble in obtaining consent to cross the farms and in the vicinity of Galesburg were driven off the farms many times. For a conveyance we had a band wagon and four horses. The members of the party were discharged R.R. men whom we picked up at Fort Madison (aside from those I have named) Three got drunk at Dallas City and pawned the note books when Ropes Todd, Duncan and myself were on the line. We discharged them and engaged more and at Galesburg these also filled up and we made another change.
The party was disbanded in December. Messrs. Ropes, Duncan and myself going to Chicago, where we worked up estimates and maps during the remainder of the time, until March 1885. I was detailed to look up an entrance into Chicago and make approximate estimate of cost of right-of-way. It is needless to say that my report was of no value. We had an office on the corner of Clark and adams Street, over "Nicholl and Tailor". I think it was the Lakeside Building. The tailor shop is yet there.
In the summer of 1885, Mr. A. A. Robinson loaned Messrs. B. F. Booker, M. F. Temple, E. L. Burdick and myself to Mr. C. C. Upham, then Chief Engineer of the B. & M. Ry. And we reported to him at Denver, after running some lines in Colorado we were taken to St. Paul. On the construction of the Chicago, Burlington & Northern Ry., Mr. Temple and myself were given divisions, while Mr. Booker was made Resident Engineer over us, with R. L. Engle in charge of construction. The following February, 1886. Mr. Robinson sent for Mr. Booker and myself and we reported at Topeka. We went from there to St. Louis and eventually reached Keokuk, the idea being to not have it known where we were going. I rented an office of four rooms and went to St. Louis, where I bought $5000.00 worth fo instruments of A.L. Aloe & Co., also ordered 40 tents of the Mo. &
page 45 Meade's Manual transcribed in altered form for the web by Russell Crump
Sheet #4 - Missouri Division.
Letter from J. H. Snow to E. S. Rice - Early Location. Continued.
Tent and Awning Company. We had been given a large package of letters of application for employment by Mr. Robinson and we wrote to as many as we thought we could make use of in eight locating parties, doing all our work with pen and ink (we did not have a typewriter during the year we were there) All letters were signed B.F. Booker. He had no title during the location work, although I think possibly he did sign as "Chief Engineer". Every man to whom he had offered a position as Locating Engineer replied asking what Company were doing the work and what guarantee they could have for payment of salaries. Mr. Bookes replied that the fact that they had been recommended by Mr. A. A. Robinson should be sufficient guarantee. We got eight parties in the field in a very short time. They were in charge of John Fulton, Sanford A. Horton, C. S. Carpenter, Weeks, Horace R. Ropes, A.S. Robinson, A> C. Swwaaartz.
I am quite sure that there were eight parties and yet I cannot recall another Locating Engineer. It is barely possible that a man named Miller had one, of M. F. Temple, who came to us later form the C.B.&N.
We had no property belonging to the Santa Fe, not even stationery, pencils, etc. And when letters were sent to Mr. Robinson they were addressed to John Z. Roarback in Kansas City, he in turn receiving these from Mr. Robinson and forwarding them to Mr. Booker. No one was allowed in our private office but Mr. Booker and myself. Our money for expenses and payroll was deposited by a bank in St. Louis in a bank at Keokuk, subject to Mr. Booker's check. I was paymaster, auditor, purchasing agent, chief clerk and in fact held all offices but that of Chief Engineer. My accounts were all kept in a level book, and we disbursed about $10,000.00 per month. We were constantly being entertained by good people of Keokuk and Fort Madison, where a system of pumping was always most evident. Three crossings we located of the Miss. River, at Kekuk, Ft. Madison and a Warsaw. The latter is more nearly on an air line. We had a drafting department under Mr. R. C. Simon, a very able man. No word had leaked out as to who we were, or as to the relative length of the several lines, until just before the parties were disbanded. One night Messrs. Booker, Simons and myself figured out the three lengths from the connections made by the various parties. It was reported in the "St. Louis Globe Democrat" the next day. Mr. Booker and I roomed together, we had not been apart since the figures had been made. There was only one other party who knew what they were. Mr. Robinson in acknowledging receipt of the report made by Mr. Booker giving the lengths of therse lines, thanked him and said he had already read the report in the St. Louis Globe Democrat. This was a hard blow for Mr. Booker. He had worked so hard to avoid any publicity and had done so until the very last. In December 1886, we moved to Kansas City and the construction was begun in January 1887. Persuaded Mr. Booker to allow me to go into the field and was made Division Engineer from a point east of Carrollton, Mo. To Mendon. I am sorry I can not tell you more of the important things in connection with the location work. The old payrolls should reflect the names of the old timers, although I presume they have been destroyed.
There were of course many amusing incidents in connection with the work, and Horace Ropes and I get together frequently and sit up all night taling them over. John A. Fulton is not in Los Angeles with the Pacific Electric Co..
If There are any questions you wish to ask, let them come - I will answer if I can. I was also on the preliminary and location (as well as construction) of the line Willow Springs (Raton) to the Needles.
Yours Sincerely
(Signed) J. H. Snow.
Amarillo, Texas.

MONDAY, JUNE 1st, 1903.
On Monday, June 1st, 1903, there occurred a very disastrous washout at Parker Lake, M.P. 422+1578, old Bridge No. 591, new No. 422-A and at Fishing River, M.P. 423+640., old Bridge No. 592 new No. 423-A.
At the first named there was a 110-ft. Pile bridge, put into the embankment by the Construction Company to allow a Public Road to pass under. Fishing River and the Missouri River broke over their banks and the flood waters poured through this hole and took out about 700-ft. Of embankment and track and ploughed out a great lake below the bridge, afterward called Parker Lake. A temporary pile bridge was driven and gradually filled up by Work Train and the embankment restored. It took several years to do the filling, which extended well out into the lake or hole on the South side. The road under the bridge is still maintained, but raised sufficiently to be above high water.
At Fishing River, the original bridge was a Howe Truss and pile approaches.
Rebuilt with three 60-ft. Deck girders, a 14-ft. Pile approach on the East end and an 86-ft. pile approach on the West end. After the above flood the grade was raised 8.41-ft. And seven 90-ft. Deck girders put in on concrete piers with pile foundations.
The flood washed off one-60' girder at the East End and dropped it in the mud. The East pier was washed away. The next two piers and one-60' girder were left standing. The two piers were not damaged nor the West Girder; they remained intact and helped to do their part in holding up the trains while the new bridge was being rebuilt. James Standard & Co., of Kansas City, Mo., had the contract for putting in the pile foundations, remodeling and raising the old masonry and rebuilding the bridge.

Referring to Mr. Meade's letter, - I was Conductor on #1 October 30th, 1905, Dad Rust was the Engineer, Wm. Long, Fireman, now freight Engineer, Missouri Division. Rus Holmes, Flagman, now living at Fort Madison and working fot the State of Iowa as guard at the prison.
Without referring to train book, our train was made up as follows: 1-M, 2-B, 2-C, 3-TS, 3-Standards and DC. We were about on time. The wreck took place about 10:51 A.M. in Big Rock Cut, one mile east of Sheffield. There is a reverse curve in this cut. The curve starts just as you pass off bridge. This is where the front pair of wheels on the engine tank left the rail and turned the rail over. The engine stopped about 150-ft. Ahead of the train with this pair of wheels off. The mail car left the track, went into rock bluff on south side, glancing off, tearing the side out, plowing a quantity of rock, dirt and rubbish into the car. If I remember correctly, there were 5 mail clerks in the car, they were all more or less injured. All fully recovered, but the mail car glancing off let the baggage car into the rocks head on. There were two men in the baggage car, Jameison and Tagardine, Jameison was killed outright, Tagardine bodily injured, leg broken and never fully recovered. The baggage car backed through the smoker, cutting the top off, and into the chair car up to the swinging door. The smoker looked like a flat car. There was about forty people in the smoker, 12 killed outright, 1 died in the hospital, this including John McGregor, dead heading to Topeka as a witness for the Company, Porter Sims and a waiter named Richards. Passengers and employees in the balance escaped injury. Balance of the train back of the chair car was on the track and taken back to Kansas City , Via Mo. Pacific. Using front TS for the injured. We were able to get the injured started for Kansas City in about 1 hour. Dead were taken to Kansas City via Sheffield, later. I did not get the names of the dead and injured. This was taken care of by the Claim Department. If I left out any information Mr. Meade, would like to have, would be pleased to give to him, any time.
(Signed) S. V. Montrose,

At Wyaconda, Mo,. We built a reservoir in 1887 against the dump of the railroad bank, 19 million gallon capacity, one-half miles West of the depot, South side of the track, Drainage area 0.16 square Mi. Not reliable in dry weather.Spillway through dump.
At Baring., Mo., we built a reservoir in 1914. 40-million gallons capacity 0.2 miles West of the depot, South side of the track 0.39 miles drainage area. Plenty of water at all times. Single spillway.
At La Plata, Mo., we have a reservoir built in 1907, 102-1/2 million gallons capacity 0.8 miles East of depot, South side of track. Drainage area 0.42 square miles. Plenty of water. Double spillway.
Ethel: When the road was built in 1888, we made a good pond against the railroad dump, 0.6 miles West of the depot. North side of the track, 67 million gallons capacity. Drainage area 0.23 square miles. Fed by perpetual springs. One of our best. Spillway - Pipe through dump.
Marceline: We have a reservoir of 56 million gallons capacity, built back of the yard, North side of the track 0.7 miles, West of Depot, built in 1888. Drainage area 0.25 square miles. Not in use now. Supply not reliable. We take water from City who have a reliable reservoir East of town, south side of the track.
Swanwick: Concrete Dam., over Crooked River. No spillway. Water flows over top of dam. Built in 1914. Capacity one-million gallons. Located 1 mile east of depot, north side of track. Drainage area 26.0 square miles. Supply O.K. Water is not treated.

76.40 Miles Long.
Incorporated in Missouri, January 8th, 1868, as the St. Louis & St. Joseph Railroad Co..
Incorporated in Missouri March 19th, 1874, as the St. Joseph & St. Louis Railroad Co..
Incorporated in Missouri as the St. Joseph St. Louis & Santa Fe Railroad Company, August 8th, 1887.
Incorporated in Missouri August 8th, 1887 as the St. Joseph & Santa Fe Railroad Company Name Changed January 30th, 1888 to St. Joseph, St. Louis & Santa Fe Railway Company. Sold June 1st, 1900 to the A.T.&S.F. Ry. Company.
This line was built under the original charter name - St. Louis & St. Joseph Railroad Company by a local company, mostly St. Joseph & St. Louis men and capital. It soon went into bankruptcy with a Mr. Sheridan as receiver. Mr. Arthur B. Gower was Superintendent of Construction. Mr. A. M. Whiting was Chief Engineer.
Mr. John Baden had the contract for laying all of the track. Construction commenced early in 1869. Finished in 1870 and line opened that year. Mr. Gower as Superintendent. The Stations and town of Gower were named after him.
On June 1st, 1874, the Wabash leased it. It was then called the St. Louis, Kansas City and Northern, afterwards changed to "The Wabash", St . Louis & Pacific Railway Company" On June 28th, 1884 the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific went into the hands of receivers and was then operated by them. Until June 30th, 1886, on which date it was dropped from the Wabash System. Winslow Judson, as President of the St. Joseph & St. Louis Railroad Company operated it from June 30th, 1886 to August 8th, 1887 when it was sold to the St. Joseph & St. Louis & Santa Fe Ry. Company, then the Santa Fe took charge and commenced to operate it. Sold to the A.T.&S.F. Ry. June 1st. 1900. Mr. F. S. Harris Superintendent and operated it under Mr. Winslow Judson. The line crossed the main line of the Wabash at Lexington Junction and terminated on the left bank of the Missouri River opposite the town of Lexington where it connected with a ferry boat.
The Grand Island Operated their trains over the line from St. Joseph to Gower, a distance of twenty miles from August 1st, 1898 (Contract dated August 1st, 1898) See Secretary's No. 12981. They discontinued using the Santa Fe tracks, August 31st, 1914. The Chicago & Great Western operated their trains over the line St. Joseph to Bee Creek Jct, a distance of 7.90 miles. They began to operated, effective December 31st, 1890.

On March 18th, 1874, The Farmers Loan & Trust Company sold under the mortgage to them, towit: As a Trustee; in consideration of $100,000.00 all property rights and franchises of the St. Louis & St. J. R.R. Co., to S. Angier Chase: sale was made in New York, February 18th, at the Merchants Exchange and the deed is signed by The Farmers Loan & Trust Company, by R. G. Robston (Ralston), President, acknowledged the same date (March 18th, 1874) and filed for record April 18th, 1874 and is of record ti the office of the Recorder of Deeds of Buchanan County, in Book 75, page 209.
The St. J. & St. L. R.R. Co., seems to have been organized at this time and, on the 20th day of March, two days after he purchased the same, S. A. Chase, of Dall River conveyed to the St.J.& St. L. R.R. Co., all the property right and franchises, formerly owed by the St. L.& St. J. R.R. Co., for a consideration of $100,000.00; conveyance acknowledged on March 31, by Chase and wife. Recorded in Book 75-All in Records Office, Buchanan County, Missouri. On June 1, 1874, The St. J. & St. L. RR Co., leased to the St. Louis, Kansas City & Northern Railway Company. In the year 1879, the latter road was consolidated with the Wabash and the property was known as the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Railway Company. This road went into the hands of receivers, June 28th, 1884 and road was operated by them from April 24, 1886 to June 30, 1886 on which date the lease was broken by default of rent.
On January 31, 1888, The St. J. & St. L. Was consolidated with the St. J. & St. L. And Santa Fe Raiway Comapany, the Latter road giving first mortgage to the Boston Safe Deposit & Trust Company, and floated bonds to cover purchase. On June 1, 1900 the St. J. St. L. & Santa Fe was consolidated with the AT&SF Railway. The line as now operated extends from the north bank of the Missouri River, northwest thru the counties of Ray, Clay, Clinton and Buchanan to the City of St. Joseph.

Incorporated in Missouri, March 22nd, 1880 - 50 years.
Capital Stock authorized - $100,000
- 10,000 issued
R.R. Co's - 90,000 shares
Directors - 10,000 shares
The following roads use the depot: The A.T.& S,F,, The C.B.& Q., The Chicago & Great Western, Central Branch, the Missoouri Pacific, Rock Island and St. Joseph & Grand Island.
The Union Depot Company own 2,305 miles of track
The Union depot was built in 1882, Allen & Co., Contractors. Burned February 1895. Rebuilt at once by Carter & Co., Contractors of St. Louis, Mo. Occupied 1st, 1896.

Incorporated in Missouri, January 5th, 1887 - 99 years.
Acquired by purchase. The property of St. Joseph Terminal Company, incorporated in Missouri November 8th, 1886.
Capital Stock - $500,000. - Authorized
300,000. - issued
The St. Joe & G.I. R.I. Ry. - 1,496 - shares
The A.T.& S. F. Ry.)
Ass'd. To U.T. Co. NYW) - 1,496 - shares
Directors and Tellers - 19 - shares
The Company owns 10.50 Miles of track.

1.50 Miles.
Built under same charter as the line St. Joseph to Winthrop. Opened July 12th,
1888. Right-of-Way, Track, etc., everything sold to St. Joseph Stock Yards Company, January 12th, 1898.
See quit clain deed, Secretary's No. 12012, sold by the St. Joseph, St. Louis and
Santa Fe Ry. Co.. (Santa Fe) reserving the right to use said right-of-way and operate trains over it until the first day of July 1898, and reserving and excepting from said grant all rails, ties, switches, switch stands, structures and appliances, located or placed there on by said party of the first part (Santa Fe) or in its behalf

10.60 Miles
The Kansas City Belt Railway Company, is a consolidation, March 13th, 1886, of the two following described Companies.
1st. Kansas City Belt Railway Company, a Missour Corporation, organized June 28, 1882 - Diectors, Chas Francis Adams, Jr., (President) C. F. Morse (Vice President and Treasurer) Wallace Pratt, W. J. Perry, E. E. Richardson, (A. E. Touzalin and A. A. Robinson, December 1883)
2nd. Kansas City Belt Railroad Company, a Kansas Corporation, organized March 28, 1885; Directors, A.A. Robinson, J.F. Goddard, Edward Wilder, Geo. H. Nettleton, Wallace Pratt.

The first directors and officers of the consolidated Company were Geo. H..Nettleton (President) C. W. Smith, (Vice-President) C. F. Morse (Roswell Miller, July 1886) Edward Wilder (Treasurer) J. F. Goddard, Wallace Pratt (General Attorney) W. J. Ferry (Secretary).
The line began near the eastern limits of Kansas City Missouri, at Rock Creek Junction where it connected with the C.&A. Ry. And extended Westerly to Clark's Junction (C.R.I.&P.) in Kansas City Kansas. The last 1.2 miles on the West was built in 1900. The length in Missouri is 7.04 miles. In Kansas 3.56 miles, total 10.60 miles.
The Kaw River Bridge, lands for right-of-way and some tracks were bought from the Kaw Valley Town Site & Bridge Company and the Kaw Valley Railway & Improvement Company, allied interest of the Kansas City Stock Yards Company, which had intended to move its yards to land in Kansas, west of 15th Street. The Belt Railway Comapny also bought tracks extending from the State Line to Grand Avenue from the Union Transit Company and the Kansas City Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad Company (Deed, May 31, 1884) Geo. H. Nettleton was President until his death March 26, 1896. Daniel Bontecou, (Chief Engineer) (1882-1886) was succeeded by W. B. Knight, May 1886. Grading East of Grand Avenue was begun in 1884,
Original Company Stock was owned as follows (100,000.00)

Kansas City Topeka & Western 5/10
Kansas City Fort Scott & Gulf 3/10
Kansas City Stock Yards Co. 2/10
and transferred to Geo. H. Nettleton and Edward Wildern, Trustees (1885)
In July 1886 the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company acquired the interest of the Kansas City Stock Yards Company.
A contract with the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company was made May 31, 1887 and that Company began running its trains over the line December 5, 1887.
The Chicago Santa Fe and California Railway (Construction Company) began use of the line January 29, 1888. The Chicago, Santa Fe & California Railway Company began its regular operating service April 29, 1888. The contrat with the latter for 99 years was dated May 31, 1888.
The Chicago Passenger trains of these lines first used a small frame station at Walnut Street. The Grand Avenue Passenger Station was completed in April 1889.
1st Superintendent 1885, Day K. Smith - 1892. Succeeded in 1892 by D. W. Rider (1910)
The Kansas City Belt Railway Company was conveyed by deed, March 1st, 1910 to the Kansas City Terminal Railway Company.
Capital stock $30,000,000. Authorized. Increased by certificate filed March 28th, 1907 to $50,000,000. Pioneer Trust Company.
The purposse of building this line was primarily for an outlet for the Santa Fe to Chicago.
Joun V. Hanna, Chief Engineer, B. E. Ellis, Signal Engineer. Jarvis Hunt, Architect. A. H. Buckley, Supt. Of Construction. E. W. Brown, Inspector. Also W. W. Harris, M. E. Grant and L. F. McClure, Inspectors.
Work on the depot began in 1911, during the summer. Completed and formally opened November 1st, 1914 Geo. A. Fuller, Contractor, Chicago. Ill.

54.10 Miles.
(Sold December 14, 1899)
Incorporated in Kansas, December 20, 1884. Charter amended August 26, 1887.
Built from Forsythe Junction, 5.30 miles from St. Louis to Union, 59.4 miles from St. Louis. Sold to D.R. Francis and others, February 14, 1899.
The original road was built as a narrow gauge, from Union Avenue in the western part of St. Louis, length 3 miles. Its title was "St. Louis County Railroad", afterward changed to standard gauge and extended to Creave Coure Lake, 21 miles west of St. Louis.
A Mr. Billings from Boston financed the road. The first General Manager was S. K. Brown. The first Chief Engineer, was a Mr. Emerson.
The Santa Fe bought the line when it ended at Creave Lake, W. B. Strong, President. They extended it to Union, Missouri and changed the name to St. Louis, Kansas City & Colorado Railroad Company. The pukrchase price, together with the cost of constructing the road to Union, is said to have been $1,750,000.00 John McLeod was the General Manager when the road was extended to Union, is said to have been the Frisco was turned over to the Santa Fe, at which time it was turned over to the Frisco to operate. The Frisco continued to operate the road until they and the Santa Fe went into the hands of receivers. The St. Louis, Kansas City and Colorado also went into the hands of a receiver. Ideal Sherwood of St. Louis was appointed receiver. E. O. Faulkner was made Manager, Auditor and Treasurer. He served only a short time. Was succeeded by T. H. Sears, June 8, 1895. Relieved October 3rd by W. M. Mitchell, who was in charge when the road was sold to D. R. Francis and others, December 14, 1899.
Today, this piece of railroad is known as the Rock Island between St Louis and Kansas City.

(Back to Missouri Division Page)